Friday 26 February 2010

He probably thinks this blog is about him

Well, after a frantic week - my first trying to blog almost every day - I think we need a little change of pace here on The Sunday Morning Soapbox. One story I note with interest this morning is that Carly Simon has, after thirty-eight years, revealed the name of the lover whose vanity is mocked in her classic track You're So Vain (seen here in a wonderful, live, beach-side performance).

Putting personal matters aside - when do we not have to with artistes? - Simon is not only a clever musician, she's a poet of quality. The very chorus - You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you - is chock-full of irony. And the chic poignancy and resignation of these lines -

You gave away the things you love
And one of them was me
I had some dreams they were clouds in my coffee, clouds in my coffee


- have always done it for me.

The name of the person she wrote the song about has always remained secret, but in a new acoustic recording of the song, Simon is heard to whisper, 'David' during a musical interlude. She has since admitted that David was indeed the name of her beau. I assume he did know the song was about him, but will we ever know? It probably doesn't matter.

The one annoying thing about this revelation is that I will now lose my bet on his name being 'Ashley' or 'Cashley'. Hey ho.

No comments:

Post a Comment